<iframe src="//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-HR96"height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden"></iframe> FAQ | Study IT in Estonia
Updated at: May 12, 2017

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Do the universities require an English language test (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL etc) to be included in the application?

Yes, the universities do require some sort of proof of your English language proficiency. TOEFL or IELTS are two of the most common English certificates and getting one of them would be the easiest solution to this. Sometimes it is enough to just show exam results from school, but each course is different and therefore checking the listed requirements on the universities' websites is recommended. See more information about English language requirements in Tallinn University of Technology, in the University of Tartu, in Tallinn University, and in Estonian Information Technology College.

2. When should I start with my application process?

It is best to start with the application process as soon as possible. The admissions start as early as January. The exact dates depend on the university, and the deadlines are usually in spring. Please note, that the deadlines for application vary for students from different countries. For more information, you should check the university homepage you want to apply to. 

3. Is it possible to study part-time?

The universities do offer part-time, open and distant study options, but they are generally in Estonian. Tallinn University of Technology does offer the chance to take part in their open study programme in English as well, but it is meant for updating qualifications and specialities and it is not possible to get a degree this way. You can find more information about this programme here.

4. When does the university programme start? End?

The university programmes start in the beginning of September and officially end in late June, but it also depends on the exams you have to take in each course. You can find exact dates on universities' homepages.

5. Are there any open days in the universities?

The universities organise open days twice a year with the first one usually sometime in October and the second one in March. But again the exact dates vary from one university to another. Unfortunately, most of the programmes and talks are in Estonian, but you still can get a lot of information from them in English as well. Check the universities' homepages for more information.

6. Is it possible to find part-time work with the university study schedules?

Estonian universities usually have a very intense schedule which requires the students to be present in lectures/seminars almost every day of the week. It is still possible to find a part-time job, but it is not recommended at least in the first year because it might affect your studies.

7. Are there many options for foreign students to find a job or a placement that does not require Estonian?

Nowadays it is not always required to be able to speak Estonian. Some other foreign languages might even work in your favour. This is the same with placements. Some bigger international companies mostly require a good level of English. For more information about finding a job, see our community and career section.

8. Can I stay in Estonia to work after I complete my degree?

Yes, if you are able to successfully apply for a work permit or extend your existing one. If you are from an EU country (or Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland) you do not need a special permit to work in Estonia. Find out more information about working on our community and career section.

9. Do the universities offer any student halls or other accommodation facilities?

Yes, all universities offer student accommodation. Find out more about accommodation offered by Tallinn University of Technology, the University of Tartu, and Tallinn University. The best time to start applying is in June.

10. What are the main differences between student halls and private accommodation in Estonia?

The main differences are in price and also the size of the house. In most cases student halls are very cheap. In addition, when compared to private accommodation and they are conveniently located. But in most cases you need to share a room with another person and the apartment itself is not too big. Private accommodation can be quite expensive, but you can find bigger apartments to share or live alone in. There are also many offers around each university campus. In the first year at least, it is recommended to stay in the university provided accommodation to make life easier for you and for you to get to know the city better.

11. Where can I find information about private accommodation?

If you want to rent an apartment by yourself then you can find offers on different real estate websites, for example here or here. There is also a very useful Facebook page for international students who are looking for accommodation or roommates. Find out more here.

12. Is it necessary to open an Estonian bank account?

No, it is not necessary to open an Estonian bank account, because you can get almost everything done with a foreign credit or debit card. Getting an Estonian card will make the local transactions easier for you and banks also offer great student bank cards which help you save money. For example you can apply for the widely used ISIC student bank card here.

13. Do the universities organise any welcoming programmes for international students?

Yes, they do. The universities organise special orientation days for international students. They take place in the end of August and are usually a few days long. It is highly recommended that international students take part in them to be more informed and also it is a great way to meet new people and make friends. Find out more about the orientation days in Tallinn University of Technology, the University of Tartu, and Tallinn University

14. Do I need any special documents or registration for health care?

If you are a EU/EEA student then you are entitled to the same social welfare benefits as the local residents. For this you should obtain a EU Health Insurance card from the social service authority from your home country before you arrive in Estonia. You can also obtain private health insurance. Students from outside the EU/EEA have to obtain an internationally valid private health insurance. Insurance providers in Estonia are: AON, Crystal Studies and ERGO.

15. How important is being able to speak Estonian? Is English spoken everywhere in Estonia?

English is spoken in all parts of Estonia because our schools teach English at a high level, so you should not have any problems with getting by. Also, English is a required language in almost every institution and most official websites are translated. It will benefit you in finding a job here if you did manage to learn Estonian.

16. Are there any other languages spoken in Estonia?

In addition to Estonian and English, Russian is widely spoken in all parts of Estonia. Other languages that are quite widely spoken also include Finnish and German.